
I spoke too soon........we have had one testing week. After our brief respite Poppy has been waking every night at least once, but often 2-3 times, as has Mia! Consequently, we are totally stuffed feeling rather Zombie like.
A friend's midweek spoil at Nobu (complete with valet parking was so fun and delicious, I'm having culinary flashbacks) provided temporary relief from motherhood only to be cut short by a desperate text from Luke asking that I come home as Poppy was inconsolable (this is the 3rd time it's happened and Luke isn't the type to begrudge me a night out). We did manage however to have a successful dinner out with friends with both girls behaving beautifully, until the Grandparents left of course, then the circus resumed.
By Thursday, I was so spent, Luke had to come home early from work and take over.
Further to Poppy's no-sleep policy, she is still the non-eater. If there is anything food-like to infiltrate her mouth, these are the conditions of entry: It must...
1. Be placed in front of Poppy, not handed to Poppy
2. Be self feeding item
3. Not be presented on a spoon (cutlery is strictly prohibited)
4. Be smooth in texture

Once all of these codes are followed, there is some chance of Poppy sucking on the food. HOWEVER, should any bit break off and make it's own independent journey past the point of return, Poppy is so resentful it actually makes her shiver. She also has the occasional gag.
She also refuses the bottle. The health nurse has advised she is therefore to progress straight through to a sipping cup. So I bought four different types (just to be sure). Nonetheless, she has quickly developed a passive aggressive relationship with these cups, totally ignoring them even when they're bounced right in front of her.
Considering I'll be back at work in less than a month her reliance on my boobs is rather stressful... apparently she'll just have to adjust.
Despite all of the above, Poppy still manages to enjoy her days, is mostly content and is prone to fits of smiles & laughter, and it's usually in the company of Mia. The other day, unbeknown st to my mum or I, Mia took a break from her nudi 'swim' outside to visit Poppy while she slept. A while past so I crept in to check on the girls. I found Mia dancing stark naked in Poppy's room, while Poppy lay in her cot, wide awake and laughing so hard, she nearly choked. Mia had turned up the music in Poppy's room and was demonstrating her dancing routine.
It was the same dance routine she performed yesterday at her dance school's annual end of year concert (Mia on the right in the following 2 pics). After dropping her off to a couple of rehearsals (all very top secret, no parents allowed), it was a thrill to actually get to see her and her little gorgeous friends perform. I cried so much, I could barely see her... I know, ridiculous, but the combination of sleepless nights and watching Mia, barely 3 and a half y.o. (and also sleep deprived) was overwhelming. Mia was brilliant and did all the moves. Most of the time she looked quite pleased with herself and carried her usual cheeky grin, however, there were moments I could see her looking for us, but with the lights
shining bright on stage, the audience area was in full darkness.Thanks to the grandparents and friends that made up the Mia cheer squad, inc Poppy (loved it) who also had to put up with some super cheesy, glitzy & cheap numbers from the older dancers.
So I feel a bit mean titling this post Torture II, when it could have easily been called 'Sparkle Magic' . It does amaze me what happens in this place in the space of a single week.
I'll leave you with one last thing, Poppy's first time on a swing, Mia was so excited for her!


No comments:
Post a Comment