Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Jew Wednesday


It's the end of another Jew Wed. On Wed I feel I really get in touch with my inner Jew by driving the girls to Gan Gani.

As we enter the ghetto of the bad drivers, we pass by some of Melbourne's biggest Jewish icons: Caulfield Park (and all the 'katchkes' walking the 'Jew-Track'), Balaclava Rd, Beth Rifkah College and so on.

At Gan Gani we mingle and pretend we're part of the 'community' and often discover mutual acquaintances. I have to say, it's a very warm and welcoming environment and all three of us have a great time.

We've also started a tradition where on the way home we stop off at a Jewish Institution called 'Hamisha'. It's a great Jewish bakery with little customer service but delicious goodies. I recommend the chocolate babka. Hamisha is also a superb place to build up your 'naches' account as there are always quality Boobas there who generously gush over the girls.

(I failed to capture us at the bakery, but this shot should give you an idea of Poppy's facial expression when we meet the adoring Boobas ; they do in fact look a little like Babushkas.)

Mia has conniptions over anything chocolate coated and sweetly agrees to wait till we get home to devour our purchases. Sadly for her, she always falls asleep on the way home, and when she wakes I manage to shove a sandwich in front of her before she realises there is something better in my bag. However, her memory returns minutes later and then I'm obliged to hand over the goods.

By the end of the day I'm Jew Day'ed out and ready to resume my Bad Jew ways...... tonight we're having Pea & Ham soup.

'Lachaim' (cheers in Hebrew)!

P.S
Here is Mia and her Hamisha (guess what flavour) cookie. I apologise for the nutty woman in the background.




4 comments:

Sara said...

Dear Inbar,
Hello,, it's Anthea here, Sara's friend that called in on the way to Chadston.Just letting you know that I am enjoying your blog immensely!!! If I am really nice to her, she lets me read it over my morning cup of tea while I am at work(as you can tell, we both work very hard!)
We have decided that you have missed your calling as a journislist and think that the Herald Sun should sack Sophie Lee and employ you!!
The only drawback is that I feel that I have neglected the cultural/artistic upbringing of my children and wonder is it too late to start now that they are 9 & 11??. Grace (9yr old) in particular loves drawing, craft, cooking, playdough and anything that requires making a mess. I thought I was being a good parent by sending her to kinder to fulfill her messy desires, but now think she perhaps would have been better off at your place.....
I did, however, miss her when she went off to school as she was my little shopping/hot chocolate buddy.
Anyway, keep up the good work and I look forward to your career taking off....

Pinkruby said...

That little video of Mia eating the 'chokaad' cookie is hilarious... I love that she's trying to concentrate on the cookie but you keep making her say 'chokaad'. The look on her face when she is presented with the cookie is so joyful - clearly taking after her mother there!

worshipper4HIM said...

Inbar and the girls, I think Mia is only taking after mum, goodness me what a love for chokaad...hhehehhhe. I can't wait to see Poppy eating hers in the near future of course.
Please pass our love to Luke,
Frank and Kel

Cookie said...

Hi Anthea, thanks for your kind words, I love it that you love my blog.....although it concerns me that the health of the residents of Mornington Peninsula may be jeopardized by these frivolous distractions. Anyway, you no longer need to be nice to Sara, as you can now access it for yourself!