Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Stuffed!

I'm stuffed for three reasons: One, because I consumed approximately 3000 litres of Connoisseur's Chocolate Brownie Ice Cream and the other two reasons are called Mia and Poppy.

Poppy has decided that we had it too good and it's time to re set expectations by waking for feeds not once but twice a night! In fact, one night it was three times!!! And then, it's not enough to have boob, she wants full on entertainment, a four act play, a circus, a musical.... she's so cute yet so annoying.

In addition, Poppy wont eat solids! My daughter! It never occurred to me that I would have a fussy eater. Anyway, I will continue to try every week or so until she changes her mind.

I've already ordered the high chair (walking around Parenthood and observing the other shoppers, it occurred to be what interesting behaviour us parents engage in. The women resemble birds looking out and collecting carefully selected sprigs for their nests, and the men, their lost partners wondering how they're going to pay and carry their designer sticks home). It will be nice once she can sit at the table with us and eat!

Meanwhile, Mia, after being so deliciously gorgeous the night my Dad and Ada departed, ("Ima are you sad? Are you OK? It's awight, it's OK, you want cuddles?".....then with a huge smile: "It's going to be awight!" she declared), then turned to evil exorcist child. Demanding, bossy and outright rude, Israeli style. Initially amusing, this behaviour soon began to grate on us and I suddenly felt I'd been transported to her adolescence and it aint pretty over there.

So I walked out last weekend. Huffing and puffing I handed Poppy over to Luke and decided I was officially storming out. I got as far as the driveway when I realised I wanted Oscar to come with me. Oh, and then I also forgot a plastic bag so I can pick up his do. And then I finally walked out the gate feeling that even my dramatic walkout was less than impressive. I'd love to say that after 15 minutes I came back a different woman, but I was exactly the same, just marginally less angry.

Thanks to some girly catchups I soon regained some perspective.

Anywho, we decided it was time to take charge. After my fantasy of a shared room for the girls reality hit that it wasn't to be. We stuffed Poppy into the study and this weekend is operation 'Changing Rooms' (was that a TV show? I recall matching chambray shirts for the teams....I'll see what I can dig up).

Here's hoping the girls have agreed that we've earned some sleep.

In addition to all this, we ran out of chocolate this week. It was partially deliberate but in reality, we were never meant to be a chocolate-free household.

So all of this certainly contributed to me dreaming of escape (beyond our little block). The travel section of the weekend papers was handy for ideas and soon enough I had my Dad's dream of a family reunion in a Tuscan villa pretty much sorted, except for some minor details such as $s and oh, yes, coordinating the family. So I sent an email proposal to the family with the intention of wetting their appetites. To cut a long story short, my sales skills are obviously rusty as the most challenging of clients (father) rejected the proposal (thanks sisters for your support, perhaps there is still a glimmer of hope?).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We can still organise that girls weekend away we discussed a while ago... not quite Tuscany but could be a break to look forward to!!

Meanwhile, giving up chocolate during this challenging period is simply ridiculous! This should be ammended ASAP... I hope you've come to your senses & restocked the cupboard :)

Cookie said...

Yes, I know, totally ludicrous. The pantry was promptly restocked and now has a decent selection of chocolates and biscuits and of course the freezer has my new favourite ice cream... I think it's going to be OK.

And yes to the girls weekend! Lets talk about it.