Thursday, September 25, 2008

Family Holiday


We're back from our first family of four holiday in sunny QLD.

We had a stressful start not only due to my hair's dislike of QLD weather (frizz factor ENORMOUS) but with issues at airport security. I carried Mia through security after she had some separation anxiety from our baggage and pram. Long story short, her metal water bottle set the alarm. I offered both before, during and after to put it through separately but was ignored by staff. Mia became rather hysterical as they demanded we take her belt and shoes off, grabbed her arm and started to swipe her for explosives! It was ludicrous and to add to the trauma, we almost lost our super camera as we left it behind in the panic. A gorgeous woman grabbed it for us and brought it over sympathetically. Anyway, we survived and recovered to enjoy the flight. Mia loved the take off and both girls were on their best behaviour (note Mia with her travelling 'doggie' the ride on suitcase, excellent purchase!).

For the rest of the time we were absolutely spoilt. The happy couple provided us with an apartment (with bonus hole in the wall to their apartment) opening up to the most glorious view one could imagine. Nothing between us and the beach (approx 30m away) besides a swimming pool where Luke taught Mia to swim (well, attempted).

Most mornings began with a sensational breakfast of fruit platter, teas, nuts and grains... a real education session (so much for your traditional cake in bed my dear friend).
We felt like we were in a health resort. A number of trips to the beach, the pool, cafes and our lovely view soaked up much of our time. We also enjoyed the Currumbin sanctuary where amongst other highlights, Mia fed the Kangaroos and saw "Man Bird" as she called him (see Luke's interpretation).

Mia seemed rather exhausted most of the time (still struggling with those naps) which unfortunately also presented itself with quality grumpiness, while Poppy once again called in for room service every night. This time I minded less as I sat on the Balinese day bed and watched the moon shine its light on the waves. One morning she also timed it well for sunrise.......spectacular!

Other memorables were:
Beautiful lunch in Currumbin with the happy couple (the views again!).

Sculpture festival & kites on the beach.

Mia's introduction to Nemo or as Mia calls it "Emo"(also know as the self loathing, black liner and heavy mascara wearing little fish).

Lunch with Saba & Ada in Brisvagas. It was a treat to catch up with these enthusiastic travellers who had by then seen more of QLD than our little family combined. Mia was initially shy but warmed up, and Poppy couldn't believe her resemblance to her Papa Smurf.A solo beach walk.

Hearing Pete do bed time stories with Mia. One hour in and Mia was in the depths of sharing her most treasured of life's gifts: "I like it aeroplane, I like it bus, I like it taxi, I like it Kangaroo, I like it chocolate, I like it ice cream......"

Mia with her new baby doll (initially called Eadie, is now called Sophie) she received from the happy couple, with three squillian accessories. Excellent role playing Mia!



And just spending quality time, chocolate & wine with our special and most thoughtful of friends. Thank you, thank you thank you, we can't wait to see you again soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a heavenly holiday... despite a few glitches. Love Poppy's face in the background while Mia's laughing hysterically during take off! Impossible to concentrate on breastfeeding with all that distraction.